Do I need to create an account?
Creating an account with the ALA allows you to:
- Download occurrence records, species checklists and field guides
- Use the Spatial Portal for in-depth analysis of species distributions
- Upload species checklists to the List tool
- Upload occurrence data to the Sandbox tool for visualising your data and getting data quality reports and spatial layer intersects
- Receive the ALA newsletter, and
- Receive email alerts when new records are added.
You don't need an ALA account to record sightings - observations recorded in iNaturalist will flow into the ALA.
Logging in with Australian Access Federation
If your organisation or institution supports Australian Access Federation (AAF) logins, you can use AAF to log into the ALA. From the Login page, click the Sign In With AAF button, select your institution and continue to log in. If you’ve previously created an ALA account with the same email address, you can log into that account using either the username and password or AAF.
If you already have an ALA account and would like to switch to using AAF, you can also change your account's email address to match your institution's email address. You'll still be able to log in with your email address and password if you like.
Logging in with your Facebook, Google or Twitter account
You can log into the ALA with your Facebook, Google or Twitter account. From the Login page, click on the Sign in with Facebook, Google or Twitter button and sign into that service.
If you already have an ALA account and would like to link it to your social media account, you can also change your account's email address to match your social account's email address. You'll still be able to log in with your email address and password if you like.
Creating an account
If you’d prefer to create a new account to use just on ALA, you can do that too:
- Click here to go to the Create your account page.
- Enter your name, your email address (this will become your login name), a password for your account, your organisation (optional) and location (optional).
- Tick the "I'm not a robot" box and click Create account.
- Once you create your account, you will need to check your email for an activation email. Click the link in the email to complete the registration process. Sometimes the activation email might be caught in your junk mail folder, so make sure to check there too. If you don't receive or can't find your activation email, contact us to manually activate your account.
- Once your registration is complete, you can then log in to the ALA by selecting Log in at the top right of the ALA home page.