Compare areas is a simple tool that will show the differences between any two defined areas in terms of species composition and area.
To compare the species in 2 areas:
1. On the spatial portal page, select Add to map | Area to define the areas to be compared. Areas can be generated or determined by any of the options available under Add to Map | Area.
2. Define the second area in the same way.
3. Select Tools | Compare points
The Compare points popup wizard will open. In the wizard, select:
- the areas to be compared
- the species, species list or lifeform (if you wish to limit the comparison to specific species)
4. Once all relevant options are selected, click on Next. Depending on the size of the areas selected, it may take several minutes to produce results.
The 2 outputs are:
1. A pop-up window that reports
- the size, number of occurrences and number of species for each area
- Number of species only in area 1 (not area 2)
- Number of species only in area 2 (not area 1)
- Number of species in both areas
2. A CSV file that contains all the above and a list of species showing and if they occur in area 1 and area 2